Some people are brilliant at things until it comes to taking tests. The nerves and pressure often get the best of them and they lose their calmness and control. Passing the driving test is often as much about confidence and a relaxed and focused approach as anything else, and the ability to cope with stress is an increasingly important attribute for all drivers.
Those preparing for their driving test, need to remember that failing it does not necessarily make them bad drivers, because it is just as likely to mean they are simply stressed.
Here are 10 ways to overcome your test nerves:
1. One thing you could try is breathing exercises. Take full deep breathes and try to ease your mind.
2. Don’t rush it and get as much practice as you can. Only apply for your test when you feel confident that you have acquired the necessary skills.
3. Book the first available driving test of the day. If you take your test early in the morning you will have less time to worry about it.
4. Don’t tell the entire world your test date. If everyone knows you are going for the test, you create the additional stress of trying to live up to expectations.
5. Try to book the driving test so it does not coincide with other stressful events.
6. In your last few lessons ask your instructor to concentrate on the manoeuvres you find most difficult.
7. Do a practice run and go for a mock test with your instructor.
8. You do not need to be perfect. Concentrate on the essentials. If you make a mistake, keep calm and concentrate on your driving. The mistake may not result in failure.
9. Get a good night’s sleep before the test.
10. Eat a good breakfast before you go to your test.
At Ambitious Drivers our professional instructors are committed to improving the fundamental skills of the everyday driver. Contact us today to schedule your driving classes. (416) 293-6500